You are here
Examples of Outreach Activities Over the Last Year
Several journal articles were published or are under review on work performed on UCFER projects. They include:
- Yin, Shunde, A fully coupled finite element framework for thermal fracturing simulation in subsurface cold CO2 injection, Petroleum, 4 (2018) 65-74.
- Zhang, Hua, Shunde Yin, and Bernt S. Aadnoy, Poroelastic modeling of borehole breakouts for in-situ stress determination by finite element method, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 162 (2018) 674-684.
- Han, Hong Xue, and Shunde Yin, Determination of In-Situ Stress and Geomechanical Properties from Borehole Deformation, Energies, 11(1): 131, 2018.
- Han, Hong Xue, Shunde Yin, and Bernt Sigve Aadnoy, Impact of elliptical boreholes on in situ stress estimation from leak-off test data, Petroleum Science, (2018) 10.1007/s12182-018-0248-8.
- Han, Hong Xue, Shunde Yin, and Bernt Sigve Aadnoy, Finite element modeling of borehole breakouts for in-situ stress determination, International Journal of Geomechanics, (2018) accepted.
- Z. Yan, L. Zhu, Y. C. Li, R. Wycisk, P. N. Pintauro, M. A. Hickner, and T. E. Mallouk, The balance of electric field and interfacial catalysis in promoting water dissociation in bipolar membranes, Energy & Environmental Science, 11 (2018) 2235-2245.
Two conference papers were prepared and presented:
- Morrison, J.L., B.G. Miller, and C. Song, University Coalition for Fossil Energy Research, in proceedings of the 42nd International Conference on Clean Energy, Clearwater, Florida, 2017.
- Hakim Elahi S., and B. Jafarpour, Inverting injection-induced microseismic monitoring data with coupled flow and geomechanical models: application to CO2 injection, SPE Western Regional Meeting, Garden Grove, California, 2018.
Conferences and Meetings
2017 Penn State Energy Days—May 22-23, 2017
A poster was prepared for the conference and exhibited to highlight UCFER. The conference was well attended by industry members and to seek potential industry support for Coalition research.
42nd International Conference on Clean Energy in Clearwater, Florida—June 11-15, 2017
Joel L. Morrison from UCFER’s Operations Management Team represented UCFER at the conference. He presented a paper co-authored with Bruce G. Miller and UCFER Director Chunshan Song titled, “University Coalition for Fossil Energy Research,” along with a poster to promote the Coalition to universities and industries with interests similar to those of the Coalition.
AIChE 2017 National Meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota—October 29 to November 3, 2017
UCFER Director Chunshan Song gave an invited plenary presentation on the development and current status of the UCFER program. He presented “University Coalition for Fossil Energy Research-A New DOE-NETL National Alliance for Clean Energy Solution” at the Plenary Session for Topical Conference on Advances in Fossil Energy R&D.
SPE Western Regional Meeting in Garden Grove, California—April 22-27, 2018
The University of Southern California’s S. Elahi Hakim and Behnam Jafarpour presented a paper highlighting their UCFER-sponsored research, “Inventing injection-induced microseismic monitoring data with coupled flow and geomechanical models: application to CO2 injection.”
ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference - MIT Mini-symposium in Cambridge, Massachusetts—May 29-June 1, 2018
The University of Wyoming’s Shunde Yin and MIT’s Ruben Juanes both made presentations on their UCFER projects. Yin’s was titled “Application of artifical intelligence and probabilistic analysis in the estimation of in-situ horizontal stresses from borehole deformation” and Juanes’ presentation was titled “Influences of elliptical borehole shape on the calculation of in-situ horizontal stresses.”
2018 Penn State Energy Days—May 30-31, 2018
During the session of lightening talks at Penn State Energy Days, UCFER Director Dr. Chunshan Song gave an oral presentation “University Coalition for Fossil Energy Research - A DOE-NETL National Clean Energy Research Alliance.”