You are here
Examples of Outreach Activities Over the Last Year
Several journal articles were published or are under review on work performed on UCFER projects. They include:
- Bakshi, Akhilesh, Christos Altantzis, A. Berkshanska, Addison K. Stark, and Ahmed F. Ghoniem. “On the limitations of 2D CFD for thin rectangular fluidized bed simulations,” Powder Technology, 332 (2018) 114-119.
- Bakshi, Akhilesh, Mehrdad Shahnam, Aytekin Gel, Tingwen Li, Christos Altantzis, William E. Rogers, and Ahmed F. Ghoniem. “Comprehensive multivariate sensitivity analysis of CFD-DEM simulations: critical model parameters and their impact of fluidization hydrodynamics,” Powder Technology, 338 (2018) 519-537.
- Zha, Jie and Xueyi Zhang. “Room-Temperature Synthesis of Two-Dimensional Metal-Organic Frameworks with Controllable Size and Functionality for Enhanced CO2 Sorption,” Crystal Growth and Designm, (2018) 18, 3209-3214.
Multiple conference papers were prepared and presented:
- Turner, M.A., T. Paschal, P. Parajuli, W. Kulatilaka, and E.L. Petersen. “Laminar Flame Speed Measurements of Spherically Expanding CH4-Air Flames from Chemiluminescence of OH. and CH.,” 27th International Colloquium on the Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems in Bejing, China, July 28-August 2, 2019.
- Chen, T., S. Yang, A.C. Rousso, B.M. Goldberg, S. Wu, E. Kolemen, and Y. Ju. “Time-Resolved Electron Temperature and Species Measurements and Predictions of Plasma-Assisted Reforming of Methane,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc. Scitech 2019 Forum, January 7-11, 2019.
- Turner, Mattias A., Tyler Paschal, Pradeep Parajuli, Waruna Kulatilaka, and Eric. L Petersen. “Laminar Flame Speed Measurements and Predictions of Plasma-Assisted Reforming of Methane,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Asstronautics, Inc. Scitech 2019 Forum, January 7-11, 2019.
- Tyler T. Paschal, Mattias A. Turner, Pradeep Parajuli, Eric L. Petersen, and Waruna D. Kulatilaka. “High-Speed OH. and CH. Chemiluminescence Imaging and OH Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence (PLIF) Studies in Spherically Expanding Flames,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc. Scitech 2019 Forum, January 7-11, 2019
- Zhong, H.C. Yan, C.C. Teng, T. Chen, A.C. Rousso, G. Wysocki, and Y. Ju. “Kinetic Studies of Excited Singlet Oxygen Atoms O (1D) Reactions with Fuels in Plasma Assisted Combustion,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Inc. Scitech 2019 Forum, January 7-11, 2019.
- Sinnott, S.B. “Molecular Modeling in Separation Science,” National Academics Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine’s Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology, Washington, D.C., August 23, 2018.
- Ju, Y. “Plasma Assisted Combustion: HO2 Chemistry and Warm Flames,” 4th Flame Chemistry Workshop in Ireland, July 30, 2018.
- Koel, B.E., X. Yang, and Y. Ju. “Plasma-Enhanced Catalysis for NH3 Synthesis at Low Temperature, Low Pressure Conditions using a Non-Equilibrium Plasma Combined with Alloy Catalysts,” 45th IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science (ICOPS 2018), Session 7E: 5.1 Nonequilibrium Plasma Applications IV, Denver, Colorado, June 27, 2018.
- Han, H. and S. Yin. “Influences of elliptical borehole shape on the calculation of in-situ horizontal stresses,” ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, MIT, May 29, 2018.
- Han, H. and S. Yin. “Application of artificial intelligence and probabilistic analysis in the estimation of in-situ horizontal stresses from borehole deformation,” ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, MIT, May 29, 2018.
- Hakim, Elahi S. and B. Jafarpour. “Inverting injection-induced microseismic monitoring data with coupled flow and geomechanical models: application to CO2 injection,” SPE Western Regional Meeting, April 22-27, 2018.
Conferences and Meetings
2019 Penn State Energy Days—May 29-30, 2019
Two posters were prepared for the conference. The conference was well attended by industry members and to seek potential industry support for Coalition research.
- Miller, B.G., K. Andersen, E. Wood, and C. Song, (Penn State). “University Coalition for Fossil Energy Research”, 2019 Penn State Energy Days, May 29, 2019.
- Kennedy, J., R. Breault, C. Guenther, and S. Pisupati, “Evaluation of Bed Agglomeration Potential in Advanced Chemical Looping Combustion of Solid Fuels”, 2019 Penn State Energy Days, May 29, 2019.
43nd International Conference on Clean Energy in Clearwater, Florida—June 16-21, 2019
A poster was sent to the conference to represent UCFER’s work and members. The poster highlighted UCFER’s research areas, current projects, and member universities.
- Miller, B.G., K. Andersen, E. Wood, and C. Song, (Penn State). “University Coalition for Fossil Energy Research”, 44th International Technical Conference on Clean Energy, June 16-21, 2019.
2019 American Chemical Society National Meeting—March 31 to April 4, 2019
UCFER Director Chunshan Song received the 2019 George A Olah Award in Hydrocarbon or Petroleum Chemistry.